On the 10th of September, 2007 I started a small project that my friend Lee introduced me to. The idea was simple enough: a to-do list of 101 items to be completed within 1001 days. Those 1001 days ended at midnight last night, and it is time to take a look at everything I managed to do on that list within the ~2.75 years. The list will be posted below.
1. Sponsor a child.
2. Offer to buy a homeless person a meal without being asked.
3. Do 10 chin-ups.
4. Read a non-fiction book.
5. Get a job.
6. Meditate every day for a week.
7. Draw a picture.
8. Go for 40 hours without eating.
9. Watch all the Lord of the Rings films in a row.
10. Write a letter to someone I’ve never met in person.
11. Go to an art gallery.
12. Go to a museum (wax or otherwise).
13. Not talk to anyone for a whole day.
14. Have a real sword fight.
15. Hug a stranger.
16. Get into uni.
17. Visit a Buddhist temple.
18. Go on an Edmund Rice Camps for Kids WA camp.
19. Give $300 or more to India.
20. Go rock climbing.
21. Take a massage course.
22. Pass four of the Zelda games.
23. Campaign/protest/rally against something.
24. Dress-up for some reason.
25. Attend a yoga or tai chi class.
26. Sit in the city and write stories about interesting people.
27. Rip an apple in half with my bare hands
28. Have a drum lesson.
29. Climb in through a window rather than use the door.
30. Play laser tag.
31. Celebrate Day of the Ninja.
32. Eat a whole apple, even the core.
33. Watch at least three episodes of “24”.
34. Go to the movies by myself.
35. Learn first aid.
36. Watch a documentary.
37. Get drunk.
38. Do the Wii Fitness test 100 times.
39. Buy a work of art.
40. Become an official member of Amnesty International.
41. Go to a real party.
42. Go to the zoo. Pay homage to the penguins.
43. Get my P’s.
44. Have my tarot read.
45. Take someone out to lunch.
46. Make something out of a cookbook.
47. Hold a hand stand for 5 seconds.
48. Try aikido.
49. Visit Katie’s house.
50. Pass Final Fantasy X.
51. Pass every song on Guitar Hero III, all difficulties.
52. Read (or at least skim read) all of the Childcraft books.
53. Watch at least three new animes.
54. Play Dungeons and Dragons.
55. Hug a male.
56. Re-learn all the Hiragana characters.
57. Learn Morse Code.
58. Play a game of poker.
59. Get “Age: 20” 100 times in the Wii Fitness Test.
60. Catch a train to somewhere I’ve never been.
61. Ride a pony.
62. Taste Dr. Pepper.
63. Solve a rubics cube.
64. Complete a jigsaw puzzle.
65. Watch the third season of Heroes.
66. Go to a play.
67. Try archery.
68. Run up a downwards escalator.
69. Give someone a bouquet.
70. Try a dessert I’ve never heard of before.
71. Learn three new piano songs.
72. Ride the campus courtesy bus.
73. Wear contact lenses.
74. Learn 100 new words.
75. Get a pet dog or rabbit.
76. Punch someone in the face.
77. Learn calligraphy.
78. Give a waiter/waitress a tip.
79. Learn to cook.
80. Sit an IQ test.
81. Go ice skating.
82. Join a gym.
83. Officially start learning another language.
84. Go overseas.
85. Ride a bike to the city (or somewhere equally painful).
86. Cosplay for an anime convention.
87. Walk somewhere that takes more than an hour (on foot) to reach.
88. Buy a CD from a busker.
89. Do a front flip or barrel roll.
90. Sit down in a park to read a book or write a story.
91. Donate blood.
92. Enter a competition.
93. Write on every single page of my 2007 diary.
94. Get a zippo lighter.
95. Attempt to drink an egg.
96. Read a magazine from cover to cover.
97. Ride a roller coaster.
98. Buy a doll from Oxfam.
99. Take swimming lessons.
100. Finish reading the rest of the Rurouni Kenshin manga.
101. Go to Scitech.
Initially the list was very hard to produce, and over the years I made many amendments along the way as I thought of better goals or different ways of phrasing them. Here is the list of edits!
EDIT: 68 has been changed from “Get a boxing bag” to “Run up a downwards escalator”.
EDIT: 25 has been changed from “Go to a real party” to “Attend a yoga or tai chi class”.
EDIT: 101 has been changed from “Do the splits” to “Go to Scitech”.
EDIT: 73 has been changed from “Get contact lenses” to “Wear contact lenses”.
EDIT: 41 has been changed from “Throw a shuriken” to “Go to a real party”.
EDIT: 98 has been changed from “Pay back all my financial debts” to “Buy a doll from Oxfam”.
EDIT: 66 has been changed from “Voluntarily go to some kind of performance (eg. circus, concert, play etc.)” to “Go to a play”.
EDIT: 51 has been changed from “Pass every song on Guitar Hero III, all difficulties” to “Pass every song on Guitar Hero III, Hard Mode”.
EDIT: 40 has been changed from “Get a state alchemist’s pocketwatch (from Fullmetal Alchemist).” to “Become an official member of Amnesty International.”
EDIT: 80 has been changed from “Write a play” to “Create a postal stamp”.
EDIT: 35 has been changed from “Read all of Sunshine’s blog” to “Learn first aid”.
EDIT: 31 has been changed from “Celebrate the International Day of the Ninja” to “Celebrate Day of the Ninja”.
EDIT: 80 has been changed from “Create a postal stamp” to “Sit an IQ test”.
EDIT: 21 has been changed from “Obtain all the Animorph books” to “Take a massage course”.
EDIT: 99 has been changed from “Touch a celebrity” to “Take swimming lessons”.
EDIT: 82 has been changed from “Sleep outside (preferably under a bridge)” to “Join a gym”.
EDIT: 71 has been changed from “Learn to juggle bowling pins/knives/flaming torches” to “Release an arrow from its bow”.
EDIT: 79 has been changed from “Go to a shooting range” to “Learn to cook”.
EDIT: 85 has been changed from “Use only chopsticks for every meal for three days” to “Ride a bike to the city (or somewhere equally painful)”.
EDIT: 14 has been changed from “Have a real sword fight with bokken or shinnai” to “Have a real sword fight”.
EDIT: 83 has been changed from “Wear a cape/cloak for an hour or more” to “Officially start learning a new language”.
EDIT: 71 has been changed from “Release an arrow from its bow” to “Learn three new piano songs”.
EDIT: 52 has been changed from “Eat a whole apple, even the core” to “Read (or at least skim read) all of the Childcraft books”.
EDIT: 54 has been changed from “Help an old lady carry her shopping/cross the street” to “Ride a wheelchair”.
EDIT: 65 has been changed from “Make a shirt” to “Watch the third season of Heroes”.
EDIT: 38 has been changed from “Spend a whole day in the library, from the hour it opens to the hour it closes” to “Do the Wii Fitness test for a month straight”.
EDIT: 38 has been changed from “Do the Wii Fitness test for a month straight” to “Do the Wii Fitness test 100 times”.
EDIT: 61 has been changed from “Ride a horse” to “Ride a pony”.
EDIT: 48 has been changed from “Join aikido” to “Try aikido”.
EDIT: 27 has been changed from “Start weight training” to “Rip an apple in half with my bare hands”.
EDIT: 32 has been changed from “Look at all the new deviations on my deviantART account” to “Eat a whole apple, even the core”.
EDIT: 54 has been changed from “Ride a wheelchair.” to “Play a game of Dungeons and Dragons”.
EDIT: 72 has been changed from “Learn the language Al Bhed” has been changed to “Ride the campus courtesy bus”.
As you can see, I had moments of hesitation and uncertainty, but more or less managed to do most of the things on the list! One of the conditions I set at the commencement of the 101 in 1001 was that for every article undone, I would donate $5 to charity. With thirteen items remaining, that’s a relatively small sum of $65, which I’ll forward to Oxfam. However, I’m not giving up. Those goals are still goals, even if I’m overshooting the deadline. I’m disappointed in myself for not bothering to put aside the time to do some of the simpler items, or preparing for some of the larger ones, especially as the close drew closer. Nevertheless, I’m not giving up, and plan to enjoy pursuing my goals.
Although I may stop crossing them off a list, there’s still so much I want to do in life, so much enrichment to be had. Perhaps, as I have grown these nigh three years, I might start a new list with new directions… We’ll see.
It’s been a pleasure.