I’ve always wanted to create my own questionnaire, so here is my first ever original one. As I’ve said previously, I derive some strange pleasure from sharing information about myself and delight in taking this kind of chainmail survey. Don’t feel obliged to pass it on, but totally feel free to if you enjoy it too.
- What is your favourite time of day? Sunrise. Although I’m not fond of getting up earlier than I have to, when I do it’s as if I breathe in the very essence of the universe. It is a strange feeling being awake at dawn, as if somehow I contribute to the coming of the day just by bearing witness to it. I’d love to start getting up earlier more often – perhaps I’ll make it a New Year’s Resolution!
- Who do you think is one of the great men of this age? Dan Djurdjevic, a gentle man of tremendous skill and knowledge, as well as a passion for teaching the martial arts. As he gets older and experiences greater levels of physical illness, I have nothing but awe and respect for a human being who is exceeding as a man of the Tao.
- Who do you think is one of the great women of this age? This one is hard to pick. But I’ll go with my counsellor Naomi, who sews the seeds of kindness and wisdom with every breath she takes. She’s the kind of person that gives me comfort from knowing she’s alive and improving the lives of everyone around her.
- What song/s has/have been stuck in your head for days? Ahh, where do I begin. “Jack’s Lament” from The Nightmare Before Christmas, “Still Alive” from Portal, “This Day” from My Little Pony, “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” from Mulan, “When Will My Life Begin” from Tangled, “Gangnam Style” by Psy, “The Confrontation” and “Stars” and “Look Down” from Les Miserables… And that’s not even counting the ones I sing for hours on end like SHINee’s “Everybody”, G-Dragon’s “Who You” and Wang Lee Hom’s “Zodiac”. Clearly Beth’s Asian Pop tastes have rubbed off on me.
- If you could recast any film, what film and who would you use? A surprisingly hard question – all the films that spring to mind are ones that I love. Maybe Twilight, with Bella played by someone with more than one expression like… Oh hell, Evanna Lynch? Kinda have a crush on her but I don’t know how good a Bella she’d be.
- What sort of person do you want other people to see you as? I really want to be a person who makes others light up with energy and happiness just by being around me, and who inspires others to be kinder by setting a good example. Damnit, now I have the “This Day” aria stuck in my head.
- What word or phrase secretly bothers you? Apart from “the S word“ I don’t like it when people say “That was lucky!” when referring to something that had nothing to do with luck. For example, “It was lucky I studied [such and such a topic] because there was a question about it in the exam!” No it wasn’t, it was sensible to study everything that might pop up in the exam, you peanut.
- If you could broadcast a message to every person in the world, what would it be? “You are a beautiful, lovable person, and you deserve to be happy.”
- What do you wish you could spend more time doing? Reading Shihan’s blog!
- If, like the Dalai Lama, you only had thirteen material possessions, what would they be? I think I may have picked too hard a question. Just off the top of my head I’ll say my phone and charger, a bowl, a spork, underwear, shorts, pants, a shirt, a jacket, shoes, my sleeping bag, my glasses and… oh man, the last one is the hardest because if I choose something now, it excludes everything else in existence. I guess I’ll go with something generic like my multitool. Oh wait, car! I pick car!
- What material possessions do you really love but not necessarily need? I’m pretty infatuated with my Casio G-shock watch – it’s back-lit, shock-proof, water-proof, glossy black with a touch of blue and purple and tailors to pretty much every need I could have from a timepiece. I also really enjoy using my unbreakable umbrella, for rain or for smashing melons. And I’m very fond of my hiking boots have carried me across all manner of wonderful places.
- What is your superpower? Super Sleep. Every night without fail (unless something is horribly wrong) I fall asleep within a minute, two at the most.
- What was the most amazing meal you ever had? I still can’t forget that amazing lunch I ate while I was on a meditation retreat. After hours of sitting quietly and trying not to attach to any thoughts, when it came to putting the food in my mouth the amount of sensation was overwhelming. It was delicious in every imaginable way, and so healthy and nourishing.
- Who are the top five people you most want to spend a day with? Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, John Green, Hank Green, and you know, I want to also say Allie Brosh from Hyperbole and a Half. I think we’d be really great friends, if that’s not too creepy to say.
EDIT: Hmmm. Whoops. I’ve been secretly adding questions to this questionnaire for like, six months (don’t judge me) but I accidentally clicked publish instead of save. Ah well, 14 is a good number of questions. Go nuts and let me know if you do your own!