Last night I spent some quality time with a good friend of mine, and we talked for hours about life and spirituality. I brought up “The Way of the Peaceful Warrior”, a book by Dan Millman which I have been thinking about for weeks. I highly recommend that every literate human being gives it a read, and every illiterate human being has it read to them. It is profound in its insight, and has actually changed the way I see the world and many of my life experiences. For example, some of the lessons I have learned include:
- Every moment is extraordinary and deserves full attention to be enjoyed.
- Food is one of life’s great pleasures, and it can be enjoyed far more than just scoffing it down.
- All aspirations are equally pleasurable and equally unnecessary.
- There is no time but now, and no place but here.
- Being a better person is a journey, not a destination. You are either being a better person in this present moment, or you are not.
- I am the jaguar’s cub. All creation is not only connected, but is all ultimately the same. There is no distinction between “me” and “you”, other than the artificial one I create.
On this subject, my friend showed me a video which really resonated with me and reaffirmed all the beliefs I’ve come into since I read The Way of the Peaceful Warrior and the Tao Te Ching. I urge everyone to watch it, because it is such an incredibly important message if you want to live life at all!